Our home moving checklist can help you make your move much easier.
Home Moving Checklist
6 to 8 weeks prior:
- Purchase or rent moving supplies: tape, markers, scissors, pocketknife, newspaper, blankets, moving pads, plastic storage bins, rope, and a hand truck. Free boxes can usually be obtained at a local supermarket, but consider purchasing wardrobe boxes for clothes.
- Have a garage sale to clear out unwanted items and plan accordingly. Consider donating unwanted items.
- Keep a detailed record of all moving expenses. Your costs (and donations) may be tax deductible depending on the reasons for your move.
2 weeks prior:
- Hire a reputable mover or rent a moving truck. Be sure to get referrals or references, check with the Better Business Bureau, get estimates and purchase moving insurance.
- Two weeks before moving day, contact your telephone, electrical, gas, cable/satellite, refuse and water companies to set a specific date when services will be discontinued. Contact utility companies in your new town about service start dates, including Internet and telephone services.
- Notify healthcare professionals (doctors, dentists, veterinarians) of your move and ask for referrals and record transfers.
- Register children for school and ask for school records to be transferred.
- Notify lawn service, cleaning and security companies when service should be terminated. Advise the post office, publications, and correspondents of change of address and date of the move.
- Check your homeowners' insurance and make arrangements for new coverage.
- Have tools handy for breaking down beds and appliances. Give every room a final once-over. Don't forget to check in with your local CENTURY 21 Agent - he or she may be able to provide useful local advice and/or referrals.
TIP: Move valuables (jewelry, legal documents, family photos, and collections) yourself - don't send them with the moving company. Make sure you have a complete home inventory of all your possessions.